Rocker overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker overhaul

Well sometime this weekend I'm hoping to take on my crusty old rocker. Salt corrosion's made it look pretty grim and it's in desperate need of an overhaul.

Anyone ever done this? I've been advised to wire bush/sand it down. Then use a heat resistant black spray on the masked rocker cover. Let it dry then gently sand off the paint from the M details.

Sounds pretty dooable to me. Only problem is finding somewhere that does a decent heat resistant matt black. Apparently Halford's own is more grey than black. Homebase do a Hammerite matt spray so I might drive over and pick some up.

If I get round to taking it on, I'll post pics. Tips would be greatly received if anyone's ever done this.

I've just sent mine to be powdercoated. Then when I get it back I'll machine a mm off the lettering to get a really shiney BMW M Power - plus I love seeing slight machine marks in it. Should look great.

If you want to DIY with paint, then yes, use heat resisitant paint (Hammerright do a black aerosol of this). You will need to nitromors the existing finish, and then blast off with a pressure washer jet on full, really close. Once non of the existing finish remains, sand down the top of the letters so they are really shiney. Then cover the letters in masking tape and cut around the edge with a scalpel. Once done, then paint. I've seen it done by this and it looked fantastic.

Alternatively, you can just paint and use a block with some wet and dry and sand the paint off the lettering. However ths can sometime chip some off the sides of the lettering too.

Best way IMO is to powdercoat as it'll last, it's baked on real tough. All it takes is a careless mechanic to put his tools down or be a bit rough with the bolts and paint will chip.

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

mines the same so also in need of a overhaul, I have tried the standard black high temp spray but as said it comes out very matt and slightly grey. I wll try hammerite also and post results.

Comment

Cheers Keith! I went for the last solution, the easy one (but with crapper results).

So, Hammerite High Heat Matt Black. wirebrush, spirits, lots of masking. If it holds up I'll be really happy as I like the finish of it. But I'll see how it goes.

Pics! Of a very very dirty bay. Gave it a bit of a Gunk clean, too.

Comment

Looks quite good actually mate! Much better than before

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Cheers Keith! At some point I'll try and gently sand the M badge back out to Alu. First I'll see if it flakes off!

Comment

Do I see loose Vanos unit bolts on the third pic?

Just kidding.

Rocker cover looks pretty nice now.

Comment

I took mine off last year gently sanded down,then sprayed the whole lot using Halfrauds black matt,it wasnt grey,it was and still is black then gently went over the lettering and lines with some wet and dry,no problems and still looks great....didnt take long at all and makes a big difference!

Comment

My Peugeot Mi16 engine has a similar rocker cover; black crackle finish with the Mi16 logo in silver. I found a black "dashboard" paint which is crackle finish (aimed at old sports cars like MGs etc) the finish is really good and OEM like, and it's really tough too.

I can't remember the make (could be PLasti-kote) but htere are plenty here on ebay;
                  http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=w...e+finsh&_rdc=1

Funnily enough a very revelant thread I found; http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=22386
                  Last edited by c_w; 02-05-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
                    mines the same so also in need of a overhaul, I have tried the standard black high temp spray but as said it comes out very matt and slightly grey. I wll try hammerite also and post results.

sprayed with halfords metallic black hi temp spray

and then top sanded with cordless drill and sanding attachment

Comment

Looks great!!

I'm off to sand my M detail down to Alu now.

Comment

Done!

Just had a wooden block and sandpaper to hand but it came out alright! Much happier with the engine bay now, it always looked a bit of a mess with the flakey rocker paint.

Comment

looks miles better Martin, also the radiator top makes a big difference!

Comment

Cheers Dave!

Well I'd bought a tin of Gunk, too. So I gave most the bay a clean. Really wanted to use a full can then give it a good water spray clean. But me and electrics dont go well together. So used it sparingly and used a rag and water to follow up.

Comment

old thread but I have never been happy with the colour my cover turned out,

has anyone tried this hi temp wrinkle paint or can suggest something that will be a good match to the original black finish?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VHT-BLACK-WRIN...40885932610719

Comment

Working...
                              X