Clock issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petecossie View Post
    Well finally got my new VDO analogue clock (£214 from bmminiparts) fitted over the weekend prior to attending MG Car Show at Corbridge on Sunday. I was originally going to try and get clock from USA but couldn't get the correct face detailing, so I bit the bullet and bought in UK.
    If you have big hands like me it can prove to a difficult task if you haven't attempted it before, I also changed some of the other gauge light bulbs and fixed the wiring on the illuminated gear knob as well.
    Access is the main problem with out damaging the side panels to the centre console. Read up all I could on the subject from Zroadster forum and on from various posts on here which proved to be very helpful. Not many tools required apart from small screw driver to ease off the plastic caps (some were damaged so someone had been behind the console before and Philips head screwdriver to take out screws, small mirror and a lead light were the essentially other tools. Everything can be done by had hand to unscrew retaining ring on back of clock and getting bulb holders out. It helped that the new clock came with new bulb and holder so it was easy to see how the holder fitted into the back of the instrument, its only a push fit.

One thing that was a mystery is what is this connector for (see below), it dropped down the driver's side console panel as I was struggling to undo the clock retaining ring. Couldn't see anywhere obvious that it would fit, everything seems to be working, so is it something pertaining to roadster electrics?

found the same spare connector on my coupe today,

Comment

Saw this on zforum,

https://zroadster.org/threads/z3-m-a...e-clocks.5443/

Comment

Looks like the spare connectors (as pointed out on zroadster forum) could be for a chime unit - does anyone's car chime when the doors are open etc? may just be fitted for some markets like Japan?

Comment

found some more pictures of the door chimer,

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...g-Console-Trim

Comment

Hi, I've read this thread with interest.

My clock has been losing time since I bought the car. I sent it off to JDO instrument repairs http://www.jdo1.com/Time-Clocks.html but was told that it couldn't be fixed. The issue was narrowed down to the chip but VDO will only sell these by the 100's and therefore non-economical to replace.

So, I'm considering replacing the clock with a Voltmeter. Has anyone on here bought and fitted the voltmeter? If so, where is the cheapest place to get one?

Gutted about the clock situation, shame there isn't a simple fix.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Big02 View Post

My clock has been losing time since I bought the car. I sent it off to JDO instrument repairs http://www.jdo1.com/Time-Clocks.html but was told that it couldn't be fixed. The issue was narrowed down to the chip but VDO will only sell these by the 100's and therefore non-economical to replace.

So, I'm considering replacing the clock with a Voltmeter. Has anyone on here bought and fitted the voltmeter? If so, where is the cheapest place to get one?

Chris
              Welcome to the forum

Comment

Thanks Dave, long time lurking on the forum. The M coupe is my first M car and I'm loving it. I had a go in my cousins RS4 of the same vintage and despite it being rapid and supremely capable it left me cold. that said, the clock in the Audi worked

Comment

Chris
                  I fitted a voltmeter to my roadster when I had it. There's a BMW one as fitted to the S52 ///m coupe & ///m roadster sold in the US. Got mine from my local dealer for around £50. Fits perfectly:
                  1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Chris

have you seen this? may be an option

https://zroadster.org/threads/z3-m-a...e-clocks.5443/

Comment

I have two S50 clocks and noticed today both have a faint line coming from the centre adjuster down about 5mm at 6 o'clock? anyone else's the same

you can see the shadow of the line in this picture

Last edited by Dave P; 13-03-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

This is the clock on the Dakar coupe for sale and again the line is just visible,

Comment

Mine is the same Dave, could it be for positioning the glass in a certain way when the
                          Clock is assembled?

Comment

Originally posted by Bern 155 View Post
                            Mine is the same Dave, could it be for positioning the glass in a certain way when the
                            Clock is assembled?
                            I don't know but cant see why the glass would need to be position a certain way? very strange

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                              This is the clock on the Dakar coupe for sale and again the line is just visible,

I looked at the clock fitted to my car yesterday morning before going out for the BMWCCNE 100 Year Relay event at Newcastle and Haltwhistle, didn't notice anything in the way of a mark as you described. However later in the day I had another closer look ands yes there was mark, very faint but depending the viewing angle it was there.
                              This was a new clock fitted a couple of years ago and I had never noticed the mark before now. I'll dig out my old clock (which was running slow) to see if that also has a mark on it. Must be a manufacturing/assembly mark of some description.
                              Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                              2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                              1986 M635
                              1985 E28 M5
                              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Its not very easily seen from the driving seat its only on very close inspection or when the clock is not fitted that you see the line but still odd

Comment

Working...
                                X