back box height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back box height

I am a year into ownership now and have completed lots of restoration work on the car, predominantly cosmetic as mechanically the car has been spot on. One thing that has been bothering me is the height of the back boxes, as I think they are bit low and should sit a more compact to the rear bumper.

I have attached a picture.

Is the height adjustable or do I need to replace the 4 rubber hangers? They are on my list of things to do but wondered if anyone else has had this issue. I am also going to paint the visible section of the main boxes black which will tidy it up a bit.

As for other work over the year, I have had various bits resprayed, currently having seat restoration ( will put pics up when done), alloy refurb, new badges all round, cam cover and airbox replaced, new diff and gearbox oil, throttle cable, bonnet catches, headlight restoration, brake hoses, storm gear knob, brake hoses, power steering pipe etc etc

I am pretty happy with how it's looking but always room for improvement, but it is certainly better than when I bought it.
    Attached Files

I don't think there is much in the way of adjustment in height so worth checking the hangers (the metal exhaust bracket that attaches to the rear beam does have some up down adjustability)

I have my acs back boxes off the car to paint and one of the hangers has started to fail,

Comment

Also worth checking the front hangers which can stretch over time,

Comment

Thanks Dave, I had them on my to do list so will get some ordered.

Comment

How to guide with some good pictures here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15372

Comment

The "front" hangers don't really do much to affect the height, it will be the pairs of mounts on the back box themselves. Like Dave said, check those first, but they both seem to be at the same height (which does look low IMO); can't think why, so check the mounts and make sure nobody has spaced them down for some reason. There's no real adjustability with the stock boxes and mounts so you might need to get creative to raise them up!

Comment

Working...
            X