Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Technical Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
I'm glad you're happy with the results! Twenty-five (25) hours is a little quicker than I do them, but that comes down to me taking a bit more of the car apart, to give me more access for prep & painting.

As you say, the prize is in the driving, not the looks, because hardly anyone will ever peek under its skirt!
The diff, exhausts and associated areas are off and on more frequently than usual, so I can see some time being saved there.

I feel that as values are increasing investing in such areas would be repaid during ownership. I have passed on a handful of Coupes with cracks and creaky drives. Much the same as the E46 M3 buyers pay more for repaired or replaced boot floors.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG
Old 07-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Any issues with diff temps when losing the vanes?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_w View Post
At the moment I have no means of measuring any differences. A future plan though.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG
Old 07-11-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_w View Post
That's not likely to be an issue, even with light duty track use (assuming 20 minute sessions under less than all out competition use); a couple of guys I know, Ron Stygar and Daniel McRobb did some temperature logging with thermocouples in the differential and even with DWM "flogging" it on the Tail of the Dragon (318 turns in 11 miles, so LOTS of differential action) he could barely attain 200*F. Interstate Hwy @ 80-90 MPH would yield temps around 180*F.

But there's always this option: http://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogu...over_p_75.html
www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3
Old 08-11-2016, 08:42 AM

That cover would look nice and retain the M Coupe's rear look! Re temps, it might only be a concern in longer track sessions (I have seen diffs that look like they've been baked but it might just be the oil's been in there too long - I'd just increase oil change intervals).
Old 17-06-2017, 04:52 PM

Default Why you can't just reweld it...

The car I'm currently working on, a 1999 M Rdstr (US S-52 engine) was previously repaired by some partial seam welding, and the addition of some scrap metal welded in. To say it's complicating an effective repair is an understatement of great magnitude, not to mention a complete failure, as a few of the following pictures show.

Bottom Line: These are still great cars, and the passage of time will continue to prove how special they really are; please show some compassion and give them the care they deserve. IF your car develops problems with the spotwelds fracturing and you can't immediately have it repaired/reinforced, then it is far better__and cheaper in the long run__to DO NOTHING in the interim, than to do a hack repair. I'm only guesstimating at this point, but the owner of this car would've probably saved up to twenty (<20) hours of my labor if I only had to repair the original damage, than to be forced to cut out "the fix" done by a previous owner.**

** SO BUYER BEWARE, if the seller of a potential purchase tells you "yes, it has been repaired and reinforced!" If you're not in a position to do a thorough inspection yourself, then get a TRUSTED & KNOWLEDGEABLE 3rd Party to perform a pre-purchase inspection.

Only WE can put an end to these sad stories
Old 17-06-2017, 05:23 PM

Sound advice.
Old 19-06-2017, 12:32 PM

OMG!!

That has got to be the worst I have ever seen.

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
///M Badge Refurb available HERE
Old 20-06-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
OMG!!

Thought the same thing .
Old 25-09-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
OMG!!

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoffa View Post
Thought the same thing .
So did I!

I actually had another car with equal, if not more damage, but it was easier/faster to fix by nature of not having to cut out the hack-job first.

Tags
boot floor