X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear big brake kit BBK

Has anyone fitted a rear big brake kit, I have read you can use a E46 M3
    rear disc with a Porsche Brembo caliper and adapter bracket but not sure
    if you can still use the ZM handbrake and if the Porsche calipers need to be modified at all?

just found this,

http://www.ca-at.co.uk/variants-cGFy...kPTMxMDY=.html

Comment

Chippy had them on his car iirc

Comment

Originally posted by S50Missile View Post
        Chippy had them on his car iirc
        Chippy had the front conversion with E46 CSL discs and Brembo Porsche calipers but sold them.
        Last edited by Dave P; 14-04-2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

found some more details,

http://www.rallyroad.net/content/e36...rembo-brackets

Last edited by Dave P; 16-07-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

we fitted 996 rear calipers on my brothers z4m rear stock discs with adapter brackets. the handbrake has nothing to do with the caliper as it's actually on the inside of the disc's hub.

p.s. dave sorry he didn't call you, has been crazy busy with organizing his wedding, rebuilding the race car and taking care of his baby....he gotta be back to the UK tomorrow so I will chase him to contact you
            Last edited by oxam; 16-04-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxam View Post
              we fitted 996 rear calipers on my brothers z4m rear stock discs with adapter brackets. the handbrake has nothing to do with the caliper as it's actually on the inside of the disc's hub.

p.s. dave sorry he didn't call you, has been crazy busy with organizing his wedding, rebuilding the race car and taking care of his baby....he gotta be back to the UK tomorrow so I will chase him to contact you
              no worries it was just to see if he had any of the brackets left but I have now bought a front set up and looks like the rears are easy to get hold of.

Comment

Had a email from the company who supply the adapter bracket which says
                the rear calipers bolt straight on but you do need to trim the backplate
                also the crossover tubes should be swapped over so the small piston is at the bottom.
                The standard length brake hose still works and you can use a E46 M3 or E38 750IL rear disc.
                Last edited by Dave P; 07-05-2011, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Good info!

So whats a cost estimate for this kind of conversion?
                  - used front/rear calipers 996
                  - e46 m3 discs allround
                  - porsche pads?

What kind of pads must one use, the ones for 996?

What about calipers... is this for any porsche calipers (993, turbo, ...) or 996 carrera only?

Comment

Originally posted by inside View Post
                    Good info!

So whats a cost estimate for this kind of conversion?
                    - used front/rear calipers 996
                    - e46 m3 discs allround
                    - porsche pads?

What kind of pads must one use, the ones for 996?

What about calipers... is this for any porsche calipers (993, turbo, ...) or 996 carrera only?
                    you could use 993 turbo (big reds) but usually they are more expensive and harder to get. (I have 993 discs with movi't hats 322mm and 993 turbo calipers in the front, 993 re-drilled discs + 996 calipers in the rear but that's a way too complicated)

on the z4m we paid 500 GBP for front and rear 996 calieprs in good condition with almost new pads (porsche oem) off ebay. however if you are serious about track time I would go for carbonne loraine RC6 front (130 GBP) and RC4 rear (110 GBP)...not EBC fan at all and they are just marginally cheaper.
                    You need z4m/csl front discs, I think they are about 130 GBP per piece, no idea about the cost of the rear ones.
                    I need to ask my brother about the brackets price. And definitely go for stainless steel lines.

Comment

the rear conversion should cost around £700 plus pads if needed,
                      which would get you new E46 M3 discs, used Porsche Brembo 996 calipers and adapter brackets no need for rear hoses if you already have Goodridge.
                      Last edited by Dave P; 28-09-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

One more thing I forgot. Any chance this would be compatible with certain 17" wheels (stock or bbs)? This is more of a issue on the front side I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by inside View Post
                          One more thing I forgot. Any chance this would be compatible with certain 17" wheels (stock or bbs)? This is more of a issue on the front side I guess...
                          looks like it but you may have to fit a wheel spacer to clear the caliper depending on the wheel used,

quote from CA,

" CNC Machined Brackets are designed to fit a Porsche 996 Brembo front caliper to the E36 M3 front spindle. Two disc options are available for this brake kit. The first option is the standard E46 M3 325x28mm front disc. The standard E46 M3 rotor with fit with 17 inch wheels. Utilizing standard E46 M3 disc requires 12mm to be machined from the mounting boss of the caliper. The other disc option is for 18 inch wheels only, but requires no modification to the calipers. The E46 M3 CSL 345mm floating rotor is a bolt on setup for this bracket an a 996 caliper".

Comment

Rear Brake conversions

Why would you want to fit a large kit from OEM? Front perhaps--Yes!!-Rear ?????Are you going to Race/Competition events your daily MC-or the traffic light GP?.Track days on a regular basis--Who are you trying to outbrake the last of the latebrakers??.
                            safetyfast

Comment

The fronts are the initial reason and rears are just consequence.

Installing only front BBK is not a proper solution since its very hard to get the brake balance right, which can consequently lengthen the braking path. So its either OEM either front and rear BBK.

Comment

Working...
                              X