No announcement yet.

S54 Shell Bearing Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate threads like this. I'm driving around on 115k with no issues and think there's nothing to worry about.
    Spend 10mins here and I think I've got to find a grand to get the shells done....
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Sorry Ian!
      Maybe we could gather a few more people together and try for a group discount fitting?.....only that we're all quite well spaced out over the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
        I hate threads like this. I'm driving around on 115k with no issues and think there's nothing to worry about.
        Spend 10mins here and I think I've got to find a grand to get the shells done....
        I've done almost 240K with no issues. I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance, but sometimes things are best left "bedded in". A dilemma.
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
          I've done almost 240K with no issues. I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance, but sometimes things are best left "bedded in". A dilemma.
          I agree, it is a bit of a dilemma, which does ping up on here every so often.....
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
            Yep - I find the 'bedded in' approach rather appealing. Putting cost to one side, when you start messing with things...

Comment

Mine has done 67k and has a full and comprehensive (so I thought) BMW service history. Planning to do an inspection 1 at BMW so will ask them to look into this too and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Taegukman View Post
                Mine has done 67k and has a full and comprehensive (so I thought) BMW service history. Planning to do an inspection 1 at BMW so will ask them to look into this too and see what they say.
                Great, that would be interesting.
                S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Since reading this I've done a bit of net based research and there's a fair amount of chat regarding the choice of ARP bolts and whether they are preferable over OEM.
                  Most discussions centre around the issue being the bearings not the bolts and therefore why get anything other than OEM for such a critical component.
                  Then of course the other camp are all for the higher spec.

For a normal use road car, I'm inclined to think there is no need to spec up, but not really knowledgeable enough to make the call so will keep reading.

Has everyone here whose had the bearings done gone for ARP bolts too?

Comment

I queried getting this done at my local indie - but he said the engine would need to come out, so it's on hold for now.

Comment

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
                      I queried getting this done at my local indie - but he said the engine would need to come out, so it's on hold for now.
                      I always thought it could be done without removal of the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                        A certain well know Indy has just quoted me for the work. No mention of engine coming out.

Comment

A certain well know Indy has just quoted me for the work. No mention of engine coming out.
                          Anyone know of a good Indy in the West Yorkshire area?
                          2002 Z3M S54 in LSB

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                            Any chance of telling who and roughly how much?

Comment

Right quote this time - any chance of telling who and roughly how much?

Comment

Originally posted by chagac View Post
                                Anyone know of a good Indy in the West Yorkshire area?
                                I've been using Autohaus Diagnostics for servicing and repair of my S50 since buying it. Always very knowledgable and trustworthy. Based near York.

http://www.autohausdiagnostics.co.uk
                                Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                                ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                                Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Working...
                                X