Window drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window drop

Can anyone tell me which control module (or whatever) controls the window dip when the door is opened? What triggers it - the door latch mechanism? Just curious…
    Also, does the 'ordinary' Z3 have this feature, or is it just the coupes?

Thanks
    Roger

If they aren't working properly you could try a reset by disconnecting the battery (make sure you have radio code!) and opening and closing widows to reset memory

Comment

Thanks Dave - they are working fine, I'd just like to understand how the system works. And to understand where the weak link components might be for future reference, and if these are unique to the coupe. I don't ask much, do I?

Roger

Comment

Yes only the Coupe drops, the Roadster doors/glass just close up to a rubber seal (the glass is different on the Roadster, the only part of the door assembly which is - it's very rounded at the top corner). I'd imagine the mechanism is the same as other frameless BMW coupes of the time (ie E36 Coupe).

Does yours have a fault? You don't hear about too many problems, i think the door switch triggers it and perhaps a momentary power to the window motor, I couldn't say for sure.

As Dave said, they need relearning on a battery reset, just need dropping down a bit and raising fully.

Comment

No, no fault (at the moment!). There must be some module that controls the window motor to move it just a small amount, then back. By door switch, do you mean what I would call 'the interior light' switch? I would have thought that would trigger too late, after the door had moved. Must be something in the door handle, surely?

Comment

There's a micro switch in the door latch I think and a module that controls it (body control module?)

Comment

Had to change mine last yr after silverstone
              Cheap but fiddly
              [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
                Had to change mine last yr after silverstone
                Cheap but fiddly
                The microswitches? Is this part no.22 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...66&hg=41&fg=40

or have I got that wrong?

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
                  The microswitches? Is this part no.22 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...66&hg=41&fg=40

or have I got that wrong?

Roger
                  I think they are part of the door catch and you may struggle to just swap the sensor so most people replace the whole unit,

Comment

Thanks - the striker is surprisingly cheap, at only around 23 quid.
                    Also the same one for all Z3s, so maybe the switch does other things as well… I suspect the 'coupe drop' bit is done by the body control module once the switch triggers it. I guess this switch also triggers the interior light etc. and the body module sorts it all out.
                    Sorry, never worked on a car with more than 3 or 4 wires before! My AC doesn't even HAVE interior lights… or windows, for that matter…

Comment

Easy to change the door latch striker, cheap too, for a change!

http://zroadster.org/wiki/bmw-z3/mai...r-replacement/

Comment

Excellent, thanks - just what I needed to know.

Comment

Working...
                        X