welding in the boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding in the boot

After noticing a distinct scuttle on acceleration I decided to search the technical thread, and then saw all the discussions regarding cracks....anyhow I had a check this morning and there were welds along the seams....should they 1) be there 2) what should they look like if they should 3) if they are a repair what should they look like (ie is it a bodge job)...I'll take pics as soon as I can tonight.

Cheers

Russell

Can't help you regarding the welds as never checked mine! But maybe look into some other causes...

Is it a definate scuttle or a vibration of some kind? Might be worth checking balancing on rear wheels, as if you get a little enthusiastic with the loud pedal you can throw this out.

Current - BMW M6
    Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
    Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Can't help you regarding the welds as never checked mine! But maybe look into some other causes...

Is it a definate scuttle or a vibration of some kind? Might be worth checking balancing on rear wheels, as if you get a little enthusiastic with the loud pedal you can throw this out.
      Ah the - that might be a good shout as the tracking is definately slightly out.

Comment

The welded seams in the rear don't actually look like typical welded seams. There shouldn't be any cracks at all. Post some decent pics and then we can compare with other cars.

Did you get your car checked out by the RAC or similar third party inspection before you bought it?
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
          The welded seams in the rear don't actually look like typical welded seams. There shouldn't be any cracks at all. Post some decent pics and then we can compare with other cars.

Did you get your car checked out by the RAC or similar third party inspection before you bought it?
          No cracks - jsut getting paranoid...its literally just the seam weld.

As for the RAC etc I plead the 5th amendment for fear of backlash.

Comment

cant upload pics - please help

Comment

pdWarren helpfully uploaded my pics on his web space - you can view them from this link

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/images/mcoupe-russell/

All advice really appreciated as I'm planning on nipping down to my local trusted garage to get them to have a quick look at lunch time....and dont really want them to laugh at me

Comment

See my answer in your other posting on this same subject:
                http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...?t=4608&page=2
                /// Exdos ///
                "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                  See my answer in your other posting on this same subject:
                  http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...?t=4608&page=2
                  Thanks

Comment

Did you check wheel bearings and balancing yet? Like exdos said, the welds look fine to me (not that im an expert).

Current - BMW M6
                    Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
                    Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Did you check wheel bearings and balancing yet? Like exdos said, the welds look fine to me (not that im an expert).
                      my only gripe re the welds was whether or not they were new welds as they looked a little sloppy.

Getting my car booked in for a general once over as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X